Dr. Chandan Poddar is an Associate Consultant Physiotherapist at the Sports Medicine department of Sir H. N. Reliance Foundation Hospital & Research Centre.
After completing her Bachelors of Physiotherapy from Seth G.S Medical College and KEM Hospital (with Distinction and JRD Tata Scholarship holder for all years), she pursued her Masters in Musculoskeletal and Sports Physiotherapy from University of South Australia (Australia) under the mentorship of world famous physiotherapists Mark Jones and David Butler. She then returned to India and joined the Sports Medicine Centre of a suburban hospital (under the guidance of Dr. Dinshaw Pardiwala and Heath Matthews). At Sir HN Reliance Foundation Hospital, she was involved with the set-up and development of the Sports Medicine Department as a part of the founding sports rehab team and has been the earliest member of the team since the inception of the hospital.
She specialises in clinical rehabilitation of Orthopaedic injuries and sports/fitness related injuries. Her expertise lies in manual therapy, post surgical rehab of sports injuries, fitness advice/athletic performance enhancement, marathon training guidance, ergonomic evaluation/occupational related injury management and foot assessment with orthotic prescription. She has vast experience in Dance related injuries and has worked extensively with professional dancers over the past 5 years. She is closely associated with World Rugby and is one among the only two World Rugby Medical Educators and L3 Medics for Rugby India. She teaches the L1 and L2 First-aid Rugby course on behalf of World Rugby and Rugby India. World Rugby Medical Educator, L3 Medic for World Rugby
Apart from working with many National and International level athletes in various sports, the following are the highlights of her experience in the field of Sports Physiotherapy –
1) Team Physiotherapist with the Indian contingent for the “Children of Asia Winter International Sports Games 2019, Russia (appointed by the Indian Olympic Association)
2) Played the role of Tournament Medical Manager for the “Asia Rugby 7’s girls U- 18, Asian Championship 2018”, India (appointed by Asia Rugby)
3) Physiotherapist for the Bombay Gymkhana Rugby Team for the All-India and South Asia Tournaments since the past 5 years
4) Worked as a personal physiotherapist for Olympic bronze medallist and ex world No 1 Saina Nehwal (Badminton) to undertake her post-surgery rehabilitation in 2016
5) Has been an official on-field physiotherapist for multiple sports events/tournaments like the Yonex Legends Badminton tour, Mumbai (2017), Asia Rugby 7’s, Chennai (2016), Amateur Australian Football League Adelaide, Australia (2013), All – India National Badminton tournament (2014), 12 Hour Ultra-marathon (2014), Mumbai Marathon (2011. 2012, 2014)
6) Been a part of the Medical Screening team for the Mumbai Indians IPL team (2016 to 2019) and Indian Super League (ISL) footballers in 2016, 2017, 2018 Having gained experience and specialised education in pain sciences in Australia, she has keen interest and passion in Chronic Pain Management and rehabilitation.