“If we could give every individual the right amount of nourishment and exercise, not too little and not too much, we would have found the safest way to health.” – Hippocrates.
The philosophy of the department of Nutrition and Dietetics is to have an evidence based practice as an integral part of the health care provided to patients at Sir H.N Reliance Foundation Hospital. The purpose of the Dietetics Department is to provide quality care that meets the nutritional needs of all patients. Our highly skilled and qualified team of dieticians help in the management of the diseases through targeted medical nutrition therapy. For In-Patients, optimal methods are practiced in the preparation and presentation of therapeutic diets in accordance with the medical team. Patient’s medical, psychological and social needs are taken into consideration to plan their dietary needs. Recognition is also given to the patient’s individual eating habits, cultural and religious beliefs.
We provide support for a variety of conditions:
- Liver Diseases-Fatty Liver, Cirrhosis, Non-Alcoholic Fatty Liver, Hepatitis Kidney Diseases-Chronic and Acute Diseases, Dialysis Gastrointestinal Diseases-Ulcers, Acid Reflux, Intestinal surgeries Oncology-Chemotherapy and Radiation Critical Care
- Management pre and post organ transplantation: Kidney, Liver, Heart and Lung and others
- Cardiac Diseases- High Cholesterol Levels, Hypertension, Cardiac Surgeries Neurological Diseases- Stroke, Epilepsy Diabetes Management-Type 1 and Type 2 Diabetes, Pre-Diabetes Endocrine and Metabolic Disorders- Thyroid, PCOD, Adrenal Insufficiency Paediatrics
- Maternal Nutrition-Pregnancy, Lactation Food Allergies/Intolerances Weight Management
- Nutrition in Bariatric surgeries
- Precision Nutrition based on genetics
- Sports & Fitness Nutrition
We provide our services through specialized dieticians for different areas:
- Specialized Clinical Dieticians-Organ Transplantation-Liver, Kidney, Heart & Lung, Paediatrics, Diabetes, Critical Care, Oncology
- Out Patient and Wellness Dieticians Rehabilitation Dieticians
- Public Health Care Dieticians for Support and Outreach Programs
Specialized IPD Dieticians
- All patients are nutritionally assessed by our qualified dieticians on the basis of anthropometric, biochemical, clinical & dietary information provided.
- Our dieticians develop therapeutic menus based on various clinical conditions.
- We offer our patients a variety of food choices consistent with their condition and clinical care.
- Effective counselling strategies are implemented by our dieticians for educating patients and caregivers as part of multidisciplinary approach to ensure that nutritional needs and dietary limitations of the patient is met.
Outpatient & Wellness Programs (Well Women Centre, Obesity, Diabetes Programs)
Outpatient consultation and care can provide services either physically or virtually through Jio Health Hub App. The dieticians will provide the following in your diet consultation:
- Review your medical and nutrition history
- Evaluate your current eating habits
- Analyse nutritional needs
- Create an individualized medical nutrition therapy plan to enable you to reach your personal goals
- Give follow-up assistance
Physical OPD timings:
- 10-11am: Dr.Eileen Canday
- 2-3pm: Sneha Luhera
- 3-4pm: Alisha Gonsalves
Virtual OPD timings:
- 12-1am: Dr.Eileen Canday
- 4-5pm: Sneha Luhera
- 5-6pm: Alisha Gonsalves
Support and Outreach Programs:
- Our dieticians educate the community by conducting nutrition lectures and camps for corporates, communities and schools.
- As part of various support groups, our dieticians help patients and relatives with continued nutritional guidance outside the hospital
The department implements all National and International guidelines of Medical Nutrition therapy. Policies and protocols are followed as by quality accreditation of NABH and JCI.
Research & Academics:
The Nutrition and Dietetics Department provides extensive dietetic internships through competency-based hands-on training which emphasizes on the Nutrition Care Process and Medical Nutrition Therapy.
The Department conducts and is involved in innovative research projects which is vital for advances in patient care.
- The Department is committed to provide services in different areas such as in-patients, out-patients, rehab patients, outreach camps, wellness programs across all age groups for different requirements.
- Use evidence-based practices to develop effective therapies and latest nutrition intervention, thereby maintaining the highest professional standards of care.
- Liaise with the medical, nursing, pharmacy, diagnostic and foods service teams to ensure nutrition is included as a priority in patient care.
- Employ high-caliber staff and encourage continuous departmental education and training. All dieticians are affiliated to professional associations and scientific societies. The department follows the Nutrition Care Process (NCP) nutritional assessment, intervention and education to all the patients.
Partners in care
Dr. Eileen Canday
Head of Department
Nutrition & Dietetics
Ph.D. (Nutrition), Registered Dietician (RD) No.6/98