The department of Gastroenterology at Sir H. N. Reliance Foundation Hospital and Research Centre is dedicated to providing comprehensive care for prevention, diagnosis and treatment for patients with gastrointestinal disorders.
Our experienced consultants along with trained and professional technicians and nursing staff, provide round-the-clock specialist care to patients with digestive disorders. The entire gamut of simple as well complex conditions affecting the oesophagus, stomach, small and large intestine, liver, gall bladder and pancreas are treated utilising the best technological advances in the field.
Besides providing supreme quality care to all our patients, the department also caters to teaching and training of doctors, nurses and para-medic staff, thus making it worthy of being a centre of excellence in Gastroenterology.
Technology & Infrastructure
Our Department is fully equipped with latest technology to provide world-class services in the areas of Gastroenterology, Hepatology, Gastrointestinal Endoscopy and Motility.
We have two fully equipped, modern endoscopy units with the latest endoscopes and supporting equipment – gastroscope, duodenoscope, enteroscope, colonoscope, radial & linear Endoscopic Ultrasound Scope (EUS) to name a few. In addition, equipment’s like high resolution oesophageal and anorectal manometry, ambulatory pH testing, Hydrogen and methane breath test and urea breath test are available for evaluating patients with Motility diseases, gastroesophageal reflux, and Functional Gastrointestinal Disorders. We have state of the art diagnostic and therapeutic modalities like balloon assisted enteroscope and small bowel video capsule study (VCE) for assessment of small bowel disorders and occult gastrointestinal bleeding..
The hospital also has a 19-bed day care unit especially designed for day-care procedures as well as infusion clinic for administering intravenous albumin, biologic drugs and IV iron therapy.
Round-the-clock services are provided at the hospital for a wide range of gastrointestinal conditions. Common services include:
- Endoscopies – Gastroscopy, Duodenoscopy & Enteroscopy
- Endoscopic Ultra Sound (EUS) including FNAC & Biopsies
- ERCP (Endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography)
- Capsule endoscopy
- Therapeutic procedures such as:
- Treatment of GI (gastro-intestinal) bleed
- Variceal banding
- Endoscopic Mucosal Resection(EMR)
- Balloon dilatation of strictures and achalasia
- Foreign body removal
- GI (gastro-intestinal) stenting
- Biliary procedures such as gall stone removal and stenting of CBD
- Percutaneous Endoscopic Gastrostomy (PEG) tube placement
- Evaluation of Motility diseases and Functional Gastrointestinal Disorders
- High resolution oesophageal impedance manometry
- High resolution anorectal manometry
- Ambulatory pH and impedance testing
- Hydrogen and methane breath test
- Urea breath test
- Management of acute/life threatening conditions such as acute liver failure, GI bleed, acute pancreatitis, acute colitis, biliary sepsis, etc
The department offers OPD & IPD services for all kinds of patients with digestive disorders, in addition there are special clinics as follows:
- Inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) clinic: Ulcerative colitis, Crohn’s disease, Paediatric IBD, Pregnancy and IBD
We have launched a patient support program for IBD patients, wherein we impart patient education in terms of disease, treatment strategies, and dietary counselling.
- Pancreaticobiliary clinic – acute and chronic pancreatitis, biliary strictures and stones, hereditary pancreatitis, autoimmune pancreatitis
- Hepatology clinic – Hepatitis B, C, autoimmune hepatitis, PSC (Primary sclerosing cholangitis), PBC (Primary biliary cirrhosis), Alcoholic Liver disease, Liver transplant, Hepatocellular Cancer (HCC).
- FGID Clinic and Neuromotility Clinic – Swallowing disorders, chronic constipation, IBD, dyssynergic defecation.
The Department is supported by the following teams:
Radiology – diagnostic and therapeutic procedures
Gastrointestinal and Liver Oncology and Surgery, including Liver Transplant Surgery
Rehabilitation and Physiotherapy -- biofeedback for patients with swallowing disorders and dyssynergic defecation.
Partners in care
Dr. Chetan Bhatt
MBBS, MD (General Medicine), DNB (Gastroenterology)
Dr. Shobna Bhatia
Head Neuro Motility & Consultant Gastroenterology
MBBS, MD, DNB (Gastroenterology)
Dr. Chetan Kalal
Consultant & Liver Transplant Physician
MBBS, MD (Medicine), DM (Hepatology and Liver Transplant Medicine)
Dr. Dimple Jain
MBBS, MD (Paediatric), PDCC (Paediatric Gastroenterology)
Dr. Harshad Joshi
MBBS, DNB (internal Medicine), DNB (Gastroenterology)
Dr. Ravindra Surude
MBBS, MD (General Medicine), DM (Gastroenterology)
Dr. Sameer Gaggar
MBBS, MD Medicine (Mumbai), MRCP Internal Medicine (UK), MRCP Gastroenterology (UK), CCT Gastroenterology (UK)